FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DATE 10/16/2015
Contact: April Gindulis, MPH, REHS
Phone: 307-577-9745

The Casper-Natrona County Health Department wants to provide information to the citizens affected by the Station Fire as they are allowed back into their homes. If you have any questions regarding any information in this press release please contact the Casper-Natrona County Health Department at 235-9340 and ask to speak to the Environmental Health Division.

Private Wells/Water System

Perform a visual inspection of your well and any other components that are part of your water supply, this includes damage to:

• Any electrical wiring and connectors which supply electricity to your well
• Any above ground PVC water pipes which supply water to you home
• Any well houses
• Any special water treatment equipment to include but not limited to: UV, EO, and chlorinators
• Cisterns, pressure tanks, vents, or over flow pipes

If you system has sustained any damage, contact the appropriate licensed contractor to make the necessary repairs.

Water Safety

• If there is any damage to any part of your water supply system or if you have concerns about the safety of your water, you may wish to have your water tested. Contact the Casper/Natrona County Health Department and we can assist you.
• It is okay to shower and flush toilets until you have the water test results. Care should be taken to minimize ingesting water while showering. Do not use the water until it is safe to brush your teeth.
• Do not use your water to wash utensils and dishes until test results confirm your water is safe for drinking
• If you suspect your water supply may have been contaminated during the fire, plan for at least one gallon per day per person for drinking, cooking, and personal hygiene. Be sure you have plenty of bottled water for these needs.

Disinfection until water is found to be safe

• To treat your water with household bleach, use regular strength unscented bleach. For 1 gallon of water use 1/8 teaspoon if water is clear or 1/4 teaspoon if water is cloudy. Make sure to stir the water and allow to stand for 30 minutes before drinking.
• Boiling water may also be used for disinfection. Boil water for 5 minutes. It is safe to consume or stored in clean containers once it has cooled.
• If your water is found to be contaminated, the certified testing laboratory can provide information on how to disinfect you well.

Food Safety

Due to the lengthy power outage, food in your refrigerator or freezer may no longer be safe to eat.

• Perishable food left in the refrigerator without electricity for longer than 4 hours must be discarded.
• A full freezer should be good for 48 hours without electricity as long as the freezer is not opened. Check the food with a food thermometer, if the product is not below 41°F, it IS NOT SAFE TO EAT. Freezers half full of food should last 24 hours if the unit is not opened. Since the power was out longer than 24 hours, food in half full freezer is NOT SAFE TO EAT.
• http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/emergency-preparedness/keeping-food-safe-during-an-emergency/CT_Index

Food and surfaces exposed to a fire

• Discard any food in the house that has been near a fire, this includes dry goods and canned foods.
• Wash all pots, pan, utensils, dishes and surfaces, then rinse and sanitize items
using a bleach solution of 1 tablespoon of unscented bleach per gallon of water. Allow to air dry.

General Safety:

• Do not use grills with charcoal or propane indoors due to carbon monoxide danger

Septic Systems, check for the following:

• Damage to piping where it enters the home and any above ground piping.
• Disturbed soil on the drain field area indicating the system may have been driven over

Contact the Casper-Natrona County Health Department if your septic system is damaged, backing-up or malfunctioning.